Allen Harbor 1

Public (no password required) forum for discussion anything about Trailer Sailing or about our club, the North East Trailer Sailors
moondancer
tadpole
Boat_year: 2005
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: 26m
Boat_Name: moondancer
DSC_number: 0

Allen Harbor 1

Post by moondancer » Thu May 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Hello Everyone
I did get some misinformation about the air show being on Memorial Day weekend. Actually it is 11-12 June 2016. Still the work on the launch ramp is not supposed to start until after 1 June according to Gail at Allen Harbor. I have half the pavilion rented for Friday 27 May. I have bought the charcoal and need to get lighter fluid, no gasoline is not a good choice. As per previous AH rendezvous plan on bringing and cooking your own meat. Please bring a dish to share. As you know we always have a good time there rain or shine.
I have not researched tide times yet but will post that when I do. Our normal course of action seems to be sailing Saturday and Prudence Island that night. They have increased the size of the mooring field there but there seems to be good anchoring over by the ferry landing. No mooring balls there yet as I know of. With our shallow draft we will be alright.
Mike

wcole
tadpole

Re: Allen Harbor 1

Post by wcole » Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm

I just returned from Allen Harbor today. They are closing the ramp as of June 1 for the entire season. Talk about being user unfriendly.

Bill Cole
2000 26X

Tsatzsue
sailfish
Boat_year: 1977
Boat_Model: V25
Boat_Name: Tsatzsue

Post by Tsatzsue » Mon May 16, 2016 7:11 am

That rots. It is our favorite ramp. I just checked out Wilson Park on line and there is no overnight parking. That is the in Wickford off of intrepid drive.

So lets look for one with overnight parking in the area. It sounds like the folks at Allen harbor are not pointing us in another direction.

Post suggestions.

Ken B.
Cmdre - NETS

wcole
tadpole

Post by wcole » Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 am

I asked the harbormaster at Allen Harbor and several others about an alternate ramp with overnight parking. They didn't know of any, but did mention several that did not allow overnight parking. They also suggested that I look into Bristol. They said there were several nice ramps but didn't know about overnight parking.

Bill

Tsatzsue
sailfish

Post by Tsatzsue » Wed May 18, 2016 11:30 am

This seems to be a good resource.

http://exploreri.org/criteria.php

Tsatzsue
sailfish

Post by Tsatzsue » Thu May 19, 2016 9:36 am

Sorry, not so good.

Tsatzsue
sailfish

Post by Tsatzsue » Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm

I have used the Oakland Beach ramp many times and have left a vehicle overnight with no problems. The dock on the side of the ramp is steel grating but other than that OK. Strong southerly in the afternoon can make coming in a little challenging. It isn't bthat far from Allen Harbor. That is where I used to launch before I found Allen Harbor. You just can't beat the simplicity and relaxed environment at Allen Harbor.

ken B
Cmdre - NETS

Tsatzsue
sailfish

Post by Tsatzsue » Wed May 25, 2016 6:48 am

Countdown to the first Rendezvous!!

I am looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible this weekend. We have the pillion on Friday afternoon - evening and Mike will have the coals fired up for BBQ. Please see the worksheet on the website for details. BYOM (bring your own meat). The ramp is still open but scheduled to close on June 1st.

I spoke to Ed, the No. Kingstown Harbormaster yesterday. There are no substitutions in place for launching with overnight parking. There are local ramps available in Wickford and a gravel ramp at Goddard State park. Goddard's main launch is not complete or open from what I am told and the park closes at dusk and gates locked. I spoke to them yesterday as well.

Oakland Beach in Warwick is the logical solution however it is North in the bay. I have used this ramp many times and have had no issues with parking. It is a good ramp with easy access. I will do a report for the site. There are bathrooms in the adjacent park as well. I have also used the state ramp in Mt Hope Bay for launching. Another great ramp with floats. I have used this ramp many times. If I get over there this summer I will do a report on that ramp as well.

Looking forward to the season opener. The TsatzSue is polished up and ready to sail.

Thanks to Paul, Steve and Ken for getting the members updated and the password to the members only section of the site updated. Please pay your dues if you haven't and the new password will be sent to you. You wont get the sail together notices if you don't!

See you Friday!!!!

Happy sailing!
Ken B.
Cmdre - NETS