Cold Weather Sailing

Public (no password required) forum for discussion anything about Trailer Sailing or about our club, the North East Trailer Sailors
diveChick
guppy
Boat_year: 2007
Boat Make: Beneteau
Boat_Model: 393
Boat_Name: Free Spearit
DSC_number: 0

Cold Weather Sailing

Post by diveChick » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:04 pm

I was reading an interesting article today. The title caught my eye. Do you all agree or disagree that it's best to stay away from cold weather sailing/boating?
http://www.proptalk.com/cold-weather-bo ... try-avoid/

Aquaholic
tadpole
Boat_year: 1982
Boat Make: Delete this account

Re: Cold Weather Sailing

Post by Aquaholic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Well, I wouldn't say that "real men try to avoid it." It's definitely important to be prepared, make smart choices, and always put safety first. There are classes that you can take to learn more about safe boating in the cold and surviving accidents. Also, definitely check weather, winds, air and water temps etc. before you leave and keep close tabs on them during your trip. My Navionics app is the easiest way for me to keep tabs on all those things.
Attachments
IMG_1107.PNG

diveChick
guppy
Boat_year: 2007
Boat Make: Beneteau
Boat_Model: 393
Boat_Name: Free Spearit

Post by diveChick » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Aquaholic, thanks for the good info. Can you remind me how to access the water temp using Navionics? I also have Navionics. Thanks!

Aquaholic
tadpole
Boat_year: 1982
Boat Make: Delete this account

Post by Aquaholic » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:48 pm

diveChick wrote:Aquaholic, thanks for the good info. Can you remind me how to access the water temp using Navionics? I also have Navionics. Thanks!
Sure thing. It's easy! You just use the crosshair and target the location you want to find the water temp for, then tap the weather icon on the left side of the cross hairs, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the Buoys icon. A list of the buoys in the area will appear. Click on the weather buoy you'd like to use and information such as wind direction and speed, barometric tendency, and air and sea surface temp will appear.

Hope that helps!
Attachments
IMG_1103.PNG
IMG_1107.PNG
IMG_1104.PNG

Tsatzsue
sailfish
Boat_year: 1977
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: V25
Boat_Name: Tsatzsue

Post by Tsatzsue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:13 am

Great to see some activity here!! Really. Moths fly out of the site. I too love Navionics. If you haven't try the web app you have to. Now you can create all your routes from your desktop. All your info is there. I had asked about when this was going to happen some time ago. Really cool!

Happy Sailing!

The Commodore